No matter whether you are a fan of the winter months or not, there is no denying that it can cause mayhem when it comes to our skin. The dry and cold air can leave your skin feeling irritated, red, and itchy. Because of this, you need to consider your winter skin care regime carefully. So, with that being said, continue reading to discover some top winter skin care tips.
- Stay hydrated and eat right - The first thing that you need to do is stay hydrated and eat right. Sometimes, when skin is dry, it can be helped by supplements or foods that contain omega-6 or omega-3 fatty acids, for example, flaxseed oil and fish oil.
- Apply sunscreen - It may seem weird to reach for the sunscreen bottle when the weather is cold and you cannot feel the sun on your skin. However, just because you cannot feel the warmth does not mean that the sun is not shining. Plus, to make matters worse, the sun’s rays are reflected by the snow, which actually heightens your risk of exposure. This is why you need to apply sunscreen no matter what time of year it is.
- Moisturize frequently - You also need to make sure you moisturize your skin regularly in order to keep it healthy throughout the winter months. Don’t forget your hands either. Once you have finished washing the dishes, applying hand cream is important.
- Modify your facial skin care regime - You are also going to need to modify your facial skin care regime. During the colder, winter months, select a cleanser that is cream-based. You also need to make sure you apply astringents and toners sparingly, if at all. This is because alcohol is present in a lot of astringents, which can further dry out the skin. When the skin is itchy and dry, do not use products that contain fragrances and alcohol in order to help the skin retrain all of its natural oils. You also need to make sure you don’t forget your lips, as they can get cracked and dry out during the winter. A good moisturizing lip balm can be very beneficial here.
- Choose fragrance-free cleansers - Last but not least, you need to make sure you choose cleansers that are free of fragrance and are very gentle. The wrong soap can make dry and itchy skin a lot worse. For example, irritating fragrances and ingredients may be found within regular bar soaps. Instead, wash using a moisturizing gel or cleanser that is fragrance-free.
So there you have it: everything you need to know about looking after your skin during the winter months. The cold weather can wreak havoc on your skin, resulting in an irritated, itchy, and dry look and feel. This is why you need to follow the steps above to make sure you look after your skin during the winter.